It's Thursday evening of a LOOOOONG week....
Weekly meal planning fell through the cracks. Yes....
Good news? I still have some little hidden energy to responsibly think ahead: "What should I give the kids for breakfast tomorrow?" And trust me when I say, not because I feel like planning ahead, but more because I don't want to think about it in the morning. I want to "autoserve" the food. I want it ready in the fridge, to just pull out, place on the table and say "Here, eat this".
Don't expect glamour on a Friday morning.....
The fridge has only a few ingredients left from my early-week meal planing efforts and I find about 2 cups of cooked jasmine rice, a whole bottle of homemade coconut milk. The rest is soup and dinner leftovers.
Rice Pudding is calling my name!!!!
The healthy-fied version, of course....after all, no matter how tired, I am still a health coach and foodie at heart. So I decide to make a boosted version, appropriate to feed and energize the kids for an entire morning of school tomorrow!
What did I use to boost the pudding? Added healthy fats from the full-fat coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut flakes and chia seeds, and added protein from the gelatin and chia seeds.
Best part? It takes 10 minutes to make, overnight to refrigerate and ready to be glamour-served in the morning with a slight sliding movement onto the placemat. Throw some organic sausage links and red pepper sticks to go with it and voila! Great breakfast!
JAZZED-UP COCONUT-CHIA RICE PUDDING (Gluten-free, Dairy-free)
2 cups cooked rice
2 cups homemade coconut milk (or canned full fat works as well)
1 Tablespoon grass-fed gelatin
2 Tablespoons organic extra virgin coconut oil
1 Tablespoons chia seeds
1 Tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
honey, maple syrup or stevia extract to taste
1) Place cooked rice, coconut milk, gelatin, chia seeds, coconut flakes and coconut oil in a medium pot. Heat on medium until small bubbles start to form (do not bring it to a rolling boil)
2) Reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 minutes
3) Pull off heat source and mix in vanilla extract and sweetener
4) Evenly distribute into small pyrex glass or ceramic cups and cover with plastic foil. Let cool, then place in fridge for overnight
5) Enjoy in the morning with fruits, vegetables (and some bacon or sausage if you like:)
Stay happy and healthy,